Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dreaming of Bridges

flickr photo by pygo
I asked some fellow dreamers what they thought about bridges as a dream symbol. Here were their answers:

Ole Blue said that

for some crossing a bridge means a new beginning or change in life.


I think of bridges as connections. Even thoughts can be bridges, like associations.

And then she wrote,

'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it,' comes to mind. Or, the variation - 'I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.'
So I decided to do a little more research and here are a few more thoughts on bridges:

the bridge is an archetypal symbol of transition.
the bridge as a symbol of crossing from one state to another.

What are your bridge dreams?

4 comments:

Nick's Blog said...

Hi, I just found your blog.

I've had bridge dreams before and I've never sat down and analyzed it, but the responses are interesting. Bridge dreams to me are symbolic of making a change in life...a transition or a need to cross over into another chapter of life.

A lot of times change is uncomfortable...I, for one, HATE change. I like things to be the same, predictable. I fight the change but once it happens, I generally adapt to it. Maybe during this process a dream of crossing over a bridge could bring the peace that it's safe to cross the waters...better things await on the other side.

Just a thought.

DreamDoc said...

Hi Nick,

Thanks for visiting my blog! You seem to have an excellent grasp of the meaning of bridges as a dream element. I agree, sometimes change is hard!

Laura

San said...

Hey Laura. I wandered over from Karina's place, intrigued by the moniker "dreamdoc." Glad I did. I love dreams and pondering their significance.

Ten or so years ago I dreamed my son and I were about to cross a bridge and just as we were approaching it, several people were on the verge of lifting it into the air. We scampered over in the nick of time. And yes, it was a time in my life when my perspective was changing. And when a mother's perspective changes, it is bound to affect her children. It was a "feel-good" dream. Thanks for reminding me.

DreamDoc said...

San,

Thanks for visiting and commenting. "Big" dreams like that are hard to forget, shaping us at the same time that they describe us.

Keep on dreaming.

Laura