Monday, August 25, 2008

The Caffeine Buzz

My last post on sleep got me thinking about caffeine... coffee to be exact.

According to a 2007 survey reported by the National Coffee Association, young adults are the fastest-growing segment of coffee drinkers and 60 years old and over are the heaviest coffee drinkers.
  • 18-24 age group: 37% drink coffee (up from 31% of respondents in 2006 and 26% in 2005).
  • 25 to 29 age group: 44% are coffee drinkers (down from 47% in 2006).
  • 40 to59 age group: 61% are coffee drinkers (up from 59 % in 2006).
  • 60 and older: 74% are coffee drinkers (up from 73 % in 2006).

There is a lot of buzz (wince) about the health benefits of coffee (of course... more research is needed). An article in the New York Times reports that coffee is not a diuretic, it cuts the risk of cardiovascular disease, it has no effect on hypertension, and it has no (known) link to cancer. It also helps reduce the chance of Parkinson's disease and type 2 diabetes. It can even boost athletic performance. The down side? Sleeplessness, anxiety-like symptoms, and stomach upset.

Sources of caffeine gleaned from a variety of sources:

Starbucks brewed coffee, venti 415 mg
Starbucks brewed coffee, grande 330 mg
Starbucks brewed coffee, tall 260 mg
Monster (16 oz.) 160 mg
Starbucks Vanilla Latte, tall or grande 150 mg (my personal fave)
(add an extra shot and this drink is up to 225 mg)
coffee, drip (8 oz.) 145 mg
Dunkin' Donuts coffee (16 oz.) 143 mg
coffee (6 oz.) 125 mg
coffee, brewed (8 oz.) 107 mg
Red Bull (8..3 oz) 80 mg
coffee, espresso (1.5 oz.) 77 mg
tea (6 oz.) 50 mg
Red Bull (12 oz). 34 mg
Coca-Cola (12 oz.) 34 mg
green tea (6 oz.) 30 mg
chocolate candy bar 20 mg
hot cocoa (6 oz.) 15 mg
decaf coffee (6 oz.) 5 mg

Vivarin 200 mg
appetite control pills 100-200 mg
midol 132 mg
extra strength excedrin 100 mg
NoDoz 100 mg
excedrine 65 mg
Vanquish 33 mg
anacin 32 mg
Triaminicin 30 mg
dristan 15 mg

According to Clinical Psychopharmacology made ridiculously simple, caffeine has a mild, transient antidepressant action. But the complication is that more than 250 mg a day can

contribute to a decrease in slow wave (deep) sleep; slow wave sleep is already
decreased in depression and the further erosion of this form of restorative
sleep often worsens depression. Caffeine also contributes to frequent
awakenings during the night.

So... would you like to join me for a cup of coffee?

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I would if I could stand the taste, but I can't! LOL Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. I can't stand anything even coffee flavored and hold my nose going down the coffee aisle. LOL My husband has been trying to get me to drink coffee with him for 14 years!

Dream Lover said...

I've never met you in person but I can imagine you walking down the coffee aisle pinching your nose! I think there is a social element to drinking coffee. If you don't drink it you can certainly feel left out! Or maybe you could find something you like (tea, hot chocolate) and join in!

Kathryn said...

Jeff says hot chocolate is not the same as sitting at Barnes and Noble with a hot coffee and reading a book. He said I'm not officially grown up because I won't drink it. I've tried. I have forced myself to taste all sorts of coffee flavored drinks and I can't drink any of them. I think it must be an acquired taste, but I can't seem to get PAST the taste to acquire anything good from it.

Dream Lover said...

Wow. I guess I'm feeling a little protective 'cuz I just want to clock him upside the head with a coffee mug! Hopefully he's joking?

San said...

I'm out of caffeinated coffee right now and so in lieu of my usual strong French roast, this morning I had some "strong-tasting" Starbucks decaffeinated Verona. I know it has a little caffeine. So far no withdrawal headache. And what is that? That absence of the buzz is deafening.

I noticed you put my blog on your list. I will do the same. As you know, I'm a big fan of yours.

Dream Lover said...

San,

Are you purposely trying to detox from caffeine? If so, good luck! Let me know how you're doing tomorrow morning! And thanks for reciprocal listing. I'm a fan of yours and your dream art!