Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Shoes in Dreams

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own, and you know what you know.
And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go.
~~Oh the places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

Have you ever dreamt about shoes? Old shoes? New ones? Dress shoes? Shoes and feet move us forward along our path. To dream of shoes often is to dream about the path we are walking and our role in life. Some people think to dream about shoes is to dream about one's soul (shoes have soles).

Of course, shoes in dreams can represent many things. It all depends upon the dreamer. Often when we dream about an image, we are sampling that image from popular culture, our childhoods, and literature. For instance, here is a nursery rhyme that is stuck in many of our unconscious minds:
There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread,
Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

Hmmm. And here are some other shoe quotes and injunctions that are a part of our culture:

When you meet a stranger, look at his shoes.

Keep your money in your shoes.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

Don't put your shoes on the table.

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet. ~Ancient Persian Saying

When you read any of those quotes, or maybe think up some of your own, notice whether it seems to connect to your dream in some way. Notice too, whether your body or mind gives you an "aha!" feeling.

Cinderella is a folk tale worth mentioning. Did you lose your shoe in your dream? Or did you dream about a glass slipper? When Cinderella puts her foot into the shoe, is it symbolic of her sexual desire for the prince? This might be too Freudian for most, but still due consideration. Perhaps it is simply about a new love interest or a desire to add some romance to your current relationship.

Songs, too can come up in our dreams as images, a reciprocal resonance. For instance:

...But don't step on my blue suede shoes...
You can do anything, but lay off my
blue suede shoes.


Our shoe are often symbolic of who we are, or who we would like to project ourselves to be:

These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.
~~Charles Barkley

Speaking of being handsome, shoes are often perceived as an enhancement to our appearance.

Lost shoe, broken shoes, weird looking shoes, mismatched shoes, ill-fitting or tight shoes, shoes that hurt? Perhaps your actions and behaviors at odds with what you really want or believe. There is an obstacle.

Shopping for shoes or wearing new shoes? Perhaps you are changing roles.

You've forgotten your shoes? It's likely that you are unrestrained, refusing to conform.

Outdated or old shoes? Perhaps outdated or old ideas are preventing your progress; conversely, maybe you are accepting who you are.

So now, dear dreamers, what do you think giving a shoe away might mean?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know the meaning of mismatched shoes in a dream. My sisters husband came to her in a dream wearing mismatched shoes. just wondering what you think.

Anonymous said...

I had a dream about me wearing odd brown shoes. Im sure it means something but what?

Anonymous said...

I never really thought about it. I have had this dream a few times (mis-matched shoes). Upon reflection, I think for me it is about a conflict I have in my life. I have a wonderful husband and a wonderful career, but having both has caused me to make choices that are unorthodox... living away from him in order to have a terrific job. So here I am realizing that my mismatched shoes represent the conflict of going "home" when I want to go home! I want to literally go in two directions at once!