Saturday, June 27, 2009

Language in dreams

How does language play a role in our nighttime dreams? A presentation this morning citing several studies delineated some interesting facts:

  • Dream language is most often grammatically well-formed and contextually appropriate.
  • Dream language has an easy sense of rhyme, rhythm, and puns.
  • People who use words for a living, specifically writers, tend to have more language in dreams.
  • Language in dreams is mostly tied to social interaction.
  • Oftentimes, words in dreams may seem literal, when in fact they are metaphorical. For example, if you dream that you are "riddled with cancer," it may have other meanings, such as being puzzled by someone in your life who is a Cancer (astrological sign).
  • Thinking is common in dreams as evidenced by words such as "ask, think, decide, wonder, tell."
  • Thinking occurs in the majority of dreams in contextually appropriate ways, but often nonsensical to waking reality.

In the words of David Kahn, "There is so much we need to learn.... a lot of work yet to be done."

1 comment:

Jay Paoloni said...

Hi,
I found your blog through A Faraway View, and I think it is so very interesting. I'm a passionate of psychology and psychiatry, although I keep my passion into the boundaries of a self-cultivated activity, at least for now.
I have a blog where I write mainly about acting, but what I write is usually connected to psychology, and I often write about dream experiences, even recently. A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post ("Words from the Abyss") that talks exactly about what you wrote here in this post.
I'd be happy if you visited my blog and, if interested, became a member.
I'm member of yours now.
Will visit often.

Jay
jacopopaoloni.blogspot.com